James McCreary was born in Dublin in 1944. He worked at Harry Clarke’s stained glass studio between 1960-1963. From 1964-1978 he worked as a steel erector from Smith & Pearson’s structural engineering works. In 1973 he joined Graphic Studio Dublin, studying etching and lithography, which led to him becoming Studio Manager in 1980. He set-up the Visiting Artists programme, which introduced many of Ireland’s leading artists to printmaking over the past twenty-five years. Along with Mary Farl Powers and James O’Nolan he was responsible for the setting up of Graphic Studio Gallery in Cope Street in 1988. James McCreary was a Director of Graphic Studio Dublin from 1989-2000, a committee member 1975-2004. In 2004 he left his position as Studio Manager in order to concentrate solely on his own work. In 2005 James was invited to become a member of Aosdána.
2012 The Hy-Brasil Expedition, Graphic Studio, Dublin
2009 Artist’s Proof, Chester Beatty Library, Dublin
2007 Dublin Port Print, Dublin